In this week’s Mac Geek Gab, Pilot Pete and Dave Hamilton dive into a treasure trove of quick tips and solutions for Apple enthusiasts. Right off the bat, they explore quirky functionalities like cutting paper out of pictures and plopping it into Notes, crafting stickers with iOS 17, and utilizing the optimized charging mode in watchOS 10.
The duo also delves into the iPhone 15’s new 80% battery optimization feature, while also revealing how a simple battery replacement could rejuvenate an aging iPhone. The discussion transitions into handy tricks for new iPhone users, ensuring they “Don’t Get Caught” in a data drought by re-enabling Low Data Mode, and how updating to tvOS 17 allows your iPhone to locate your elusive Siri Remote.
The second half of the show is a deep dive into listener questions, where the hosts unravel the conundrum of using tags versus folders in Notes and training iCloud’s Junk Mail Filters to behave. They also navigate the maze of password management, debating the merit of frequent password changes.
Tech aficionados will appreciate the segment on the best multi-ended USB-C cables and a roundup of cool finds like the Jellycuts app for writing Shortcuts as code, making VPN apps a reality on Apple TV with Tailscale, and a review of portable, budget-friendly 1080P screens.
The episode wraps up with a look at wireless earbuds with interactive case screens, keeping listeners tuned in to the latest gadgets and gizmos in the Apple ecosystem.
- 00:00:00 Mac Geek Gab 1002 for Monday, October 2nd, 2023
- 00:02:27 MGG Zoom Hangout on Sunday, 10/8, 7pm EDT: Let’s Talk Email Clients and Service Providers!
- Quick Tips
- 00:00:01 Mac-QT-Cut Paper Out of Picture and Put it in Notes
- 00:05:06 Todd-QT-Make Stickers with iOS 17 and Store in a Stickers album
- 00:06:13 JT Ray-QT-watchOS 10’s Optimized Charging Mode for Some Models
- 00:07:15 DLH-iPhone 15 Battery Optimization Gets New 80% Option
- 00:10:50 Aron-QT-Replace Your Battery for a Faster iPhone
- 00:12:45 QTs for Bartender
- 00:15:48 Larry-QT-iMessage Could Take Up To 24 Hours to Propagate on a New iPhone
- 00:18:46 QT-Re-enable Low Data Mode if you got a new iPhone (or a new eSIM)
- 00:20:24 QT-Update to tvOS 17 and your iPhone can Find your Siri Remote
- Your Questions Answered and Tips Shared!
- 00:26:42 Jeepster-Are Tags or Folders better in Notes?
- 00:35:09 Bill-How to train iCloud’s Junk Mail Filters?
- 00:42:03 Allison – Changing Passwords Often might not be the best advice
- 00:47:47 William-Best USB-C Capable multi-ended cables?
- Show Business
- 00:51:36 Premium Thanks
- Cool Stuff Found
- 00:54:04 CSF-Stephen Robles’ SuperMute Shortcut
- 00:57:31 Saurabh-CSF-Jellycuts to write Shortcuts as Code instead of Drag-and-Drop
- 01:00:02 Andrew-CSF-Tailscale for Apple TV – VPN Apps now Possible on AppleTV (also Rod L/PorthosJon)
- 01:07:49 Inexpensive, 15” 1080P Screens
- Dave’s 4K Option
- KYY 4K Screen ($220)
- 01:15:04 Wireless Earbuds Whose Cases Have Interactive Screens
- 01:20:56 CSF-iHeartRadio to get your local game broad
- 01:21:50 Mac Geek Gab 1002 Outtro
- Bandwidth Provided by CacheFly
- Follow us on Mastodon
- Pilot Pete’s Aviation Podcast: So There I Was (for Aviation Enthusiasts)
- Dave’s Business Brain (for Entrepreneurs) and Gig Gab (for Working Musicians) Podcasts
- MGG Merch is Available!
- Mac Geek Gab YouTube Page
- Mac Geek Gab Live Calendar
- This Week’s MGG Premium Contributors
- MGG Apple Podcasts Reviews
- [email protected]
- The Mac Geek Gab iPhone app
- Active MGG Sponsors and Coupon Codes List
- BackBeat Media Podcast Network