This week on Mac Geek Gab, Pilot Pete and Dave Hamilton dive headlong into aviation apps, tossing Quick Tips like confetti along the way. Get the lowdown on everything from X-Plane’s virtual skies to Sentry ADS-B’s real-time flight data, and manage your electronic cockpit with apps like ForeFlight and FliteDeck Pro.
Discover how to jazz up your iPhone lock screen widgets, effortlessly identify shuffled Lockscreen photos, and streamline your contacts with a personalized “My Card”. macOS 14.1 is in the spotlight with its new tapback feature that keeps your conversations engaging.
In the quest for Mac wisdom, the duo tackles the big questions: to migrate or nuke-and-pave when moving to a new Mac, and which Mac to get when upgrading from Intel. Safari’s potential memory leak in macOS 14.1 sparks debate, while tips on tagging photos in macOS and turning emails into reminders keep your digital life on point.
Remember, “Don’t Get Caught” in tech snafus—instead, arm yourself with knowledge on migration safety with Synology Drive and other syncing solutions. Plus, the episode is peppered with Cool Stuff Found, from the utility magic of Plain Clip and Texts consolidating messaging apps to the cutting-edge RoomPlan API for spatial planning, ensuring you’re always one step ahead of the tech curve.
Press play and enjoy learning at least five new things with your two favorite geeks!
- 00:00:00 Mac Geek Gab 1008 for Monday, November 6th, 2023
- 00:02:52 5,862 Days of Pre-Flight!
- Quick Tips
- 00:00:01 QT-Change the Color of Lock Screen Widgets By Tapping on (and Stylizing) the Clock
- 00:11:47 QT Hold globe at bottom of iOS keyboard and select left/center/right Keyboard icon to type w/one thumb
- 00:13:50 Henry-QT-Identify Lockscreen Shuffled Photos
- 00:16:46 Kent-QT-Setting up Your “My Card” in Contacts
- 00:18:58 QT-macOS 14.1 brings tapbacks front-and-center
- Your Questions Answered and Tips Shared!
- 00:23:20 Bill-To Migrate Or Nuke, That Is The Question
- 00:32:46 Glen-Upgrading from Intel to…Which Mac?
- 00:39:28 Is Safari in macOS 14.1 having a Memory Leak?
- 00:41:16 Neal-Is Migration Assistant Safe with Synology Drive and other third-party syncing engines?
- 00:44:31 LockTutor-How can I quickly tag photos?
- 00:48:45 DJ Mac-How can I create a Reminder from any email client?
- Show Business
- 00:53:58 Thanks to our MGG Premium Supporters
- Cool Stuff Found
- 00:56:54 Andrew-CSF-Plain Clip for removing formatting from your clipboard’s text
- 00:58:54 Jedd-CSF-Texts brings all of your messaging apps together as one
- 01:00:06 RTops Dual Magnetic Travel Charger – Watch / Phone / Airpods
- 01:03:59 PorthosJon-CSF-NetSpot 3‘s Recommendations are Fantastic
- 01:09:38 CSF from Pepcom–GE Lightning Dynamic Effects Smart Bulbs – $19.99
- 01:11:56 Mac Geek Gab 1008 Outtro
- Bandwidth Provided by CacheFly
- Follow us on Mastodon
- Pilot Pete’s Aviation Podcast: So There I Was (for Aviation Enthusiasts)
- Dave’s Business Brain (for Entrepreneurs) and Gig Gab (for Working Musicians) Podcasts
- MGG Merch is Available!
- Mac Geek Gab YouTube Page
- Mac Geek Gab Live Calendar
- This Week’s MGG Premium Contributors
- MGG Apple Podcasts Reviews
- [email protected]
- The Mac Geek Gab iPhone app
- Active MGG Sponsors and Coupon Codes List
- BackBeat Media Podcast Network