This week on Mac Geek Gab, Pilot Pete and Dave Hamilton dive deep into the nitty-gritty of your Apple products starting with some savvy Quick Tips. Discover how a simple left-to-right tug in iPhone Messages can revolutionize your reply game, and get the low-down on summoning the Keyboard Viewer for those elusive special characters. Tired of cluttered docks? Learn how to minimize windows straight to the app icon. Embrace your inner tech-hero by mastering thoughtful gift-giving with the help of ChatGPT, and remember, integrating Quick Tips into your daily routine is a surefire way to streamline your digital life – “Don’t Get Caught” unprepared!
The conversation heats up as listeners get the scoop on nuke-and-pave for Apple Silicon Macs, troubleshoot AlDente for optimal battery life, and parse out Apple’s Thunderbolt 4 cable complexities. Customize your StandBy mode with Paul’s queries, and navigate the crowded landscape of robot vacuums with insights on Roborock versus Neato units. Fernando seeks a magic spell to disable Command-H and avoid app-hiding mishaps. In Cool Stuff Found, the focus shifts to OWC’s drive speed magic for iPhones, BlackMagic’s disk speed sanity checks, and Robster’s shoutout to OpenSpeedTest’s self-hosted solutions for keeping your network swift. Stay ahead of the curve with these gems, and never get left in the digital dust.
- 00:00:00 Mac Geek Gab 1009 for Monday, November 13th, 2023
- Quick Tips
- 00:00:01 JG-QT-Tug Left-to-Right in iPhone Messages to Start a Reply
- 00:03:21 Neal-QT-Show Keyboard Viewer to Quickly Type Special Characters
- 00:06:59 Rod L-QT-Minimize Windows to App Icon instead of Dock
- 00:09:31 QT-Be a hero this year! Ask ChatGPT to help you come up with thoughtful gifts – have it ask you questions!
- 00:15:43 Enable Settings > Accessibility > Personal Voice
- 00:20:36 J.F.-QT-How Does a QT become part of your workflow – and a “Help” Menu Quick Tip
- Your Questions Answered and Tips Shared!
- 00:27:10 Rand-Can I Nuke-And-Pave my Apple Silicon Mac?
- 00:35:39 Ronald-Problems with AlDente & Battery Life
- 00:43:47 Ben-Apple’s Over-Engineered Thunderbolt 4 Cable
- 00:50:48 Paul-How do I customize StandBy Mode?
- 00:58:43 Ari-Which Robot Vacuum Is Best?
- 01:06:17 Fernando-How can I disable Command-H to keep from accidentally hiding my apps?
- Show Business
- 01:09:40 MGG Premium Listener Thanks
- Cool Stuff Found
- 01:17:52 Mac Geek Gab 1009 Outtro
- Bandwidth Provided by CacheFly
- Follow us on Mastodon
- Pilot Pete’s Aviation Podcast: So There I Was (for Aviation Enthusiasts)
- Dave’s Business Brain (for Entrepreneurs) and Gig Gab (for Working Musicians) Podcasts
- MGG Merch is Available!
- Mac Geek Gab YouTube Page
- Mac Geek Gab Live Calendar
- This Week’s MGG Premium Contributors
- MGG Apple Podcasts Reviews
- [email protected]
- The Mac Geek Gab iPhone app
- Active MGG Sponsors and Coupon Codes List
- BackBeat Media Podcast Network