Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Spotify | RSS | Subscribe to Mac Geek Gab
Don’t get caught using—and losing—your Google Authenticator data. Do get caught solving your Apple TV syncing issues…and Contact Duplication…and so, so much more. Listen as John and Dave share your tips and answer your questions to ensure you learn at least five new things along with your two favorite geeks!
- 00:00:00 Mac Geek Gab 939 for Monday, August 1, 2022
- 00:01:22 John was at MacStock
- Your Questions Answered and Tips Shared!
- 00:02:55 Phil-Don’t Get Caught Using Google Authenticator When You Upgrade your iPhone
- 00:09:39 Larry-Solving Apple TV Voice/Video Sync Issues
- 00:19:33 Tony-Some Contacts are Mysteriously Duplicating
- 00:24:40 David in Texas-Manual Migration Advice
- 00:31:59 David-Best Travel Dongle/Dock
- Anker 543 USB-C Dock
- Anker’s GaNPrime Stuff (like the 727!)
- 00:41:10 Patrick-International Travel Tips and Unidapt Universal Multi-Charger
- Quick Tip Follow-ups
- 00:46:26 Alex-938-Finding Existing Keyboard Shortcuts and Adding Complex Ones
- 00:50:56 Kais-938-Avoiding Unintended App Switcher Action
- 00:52:13 Bob-937-Use a myQ Smart Garage Hub to Open from Afar
- 00:59:07 John-Helper Tool Preventing Formatting of Drive
- 01:02:59 Podcast: What Next TBD. Every Friday and Sunday, Slate’s popular daily news podcast What Next brings you What Next TBD, a clear-eyed look at technology, power, and the future. From fake news to fake meat, algorithms to augmented reality, host Lizzie O’Leary is your guide to the rapid technological changes reshaping our world.
- Cool Stuff Found
- 01:08:31 SXSW Film Festival is now the SXSW Film & TV Festival
- 01:12:16 Adrian-CSF-App Compatibility Chart for iOS 16 Beta
- 01:13:08 MGG 939 Outtro
- Pilot Pete’s New Aviation Podcast: So There I Was
- Bandwidth Provided by CacheFly
- MGG Merch is Available!
- Mac Geek Gab YouTube Page
- Mac Geek Gab Live Calendar
- This Week’s MGG Premium Contributors
- MGG Apple Podcasts Reviews
- [email protected]
- The Mac Geek Gab iPhone app
- Active MGG Sponsors and Coupon Codes List
- BackBeat Media Podcast Network
JR Holmes · August 4, 2022 at 8:18 EDT AM
When you were discussing the Google Authenticator, my inner security admin became very (VERY) uncomfortable why John was revealing that he wasn’t using some sort of separate 2FA system and, in the instances when it was required, was using the text option that so many sites offer. He takes advantage of the Apple ability to grab that authentication code from the incoming text and allowed it to do that confirmation.
That using SMS text messages for authentication has long been a bad idea (https://www.wired.com/2016/06/hey-stop-using-texts-two-factor-authentication/). And then there is the possibility of SIM-jacking which is particularly a problem for prominent public people. Though that may not generally include John (and as a podcaster, I might argue with that), it should be something that should be considered.
John F. Braun · August 4, 2022 at 12:08 EDT PM
Thanks for the security tips. LastPass has a 2FA option so I might give that a spin.
ach1302 · August 1, 2022 at 10:04 EDT AM
Comments about handling Google Authenticator for Moving to new device or multiple devices.
When I get a new Authenticator Code, the web site/App provides either a QR code or Numerical code, I perform a screen capture of the code and save it in a very secure place. It could be saved in 1Password, secure drive or saved in a physical vault. Therefore, I can use it on another device at any time. I also use Microsoft’s Authenticator instead of Google’s. This supports encrypted backup to the iCloud with a Recovery account with Microsoft . Also this app requires I device password (face id or finger authentication) to run it to provide a extra level of security. It also can take place of Apple’s or iCloud password manager. This Microsoft App is very useful for PC users since you can link the passwords to Windows Edge or Edge for Mac using Microsoft accounts , if desired.(I don’t.)
I found Microsoft to have good security after Apple, their product has been a improvement over their past. MS Edge is based off the same base code over Google Chrome and has less issues than Chrome, such as memory and CPU resource. I use it when certain website does not work with Safari and we’re tested with Chrome.
BTW, I love your podcast, been listening to it for years for great Mac/iOS tips.
Keep up the great work
Al C of NY
Dave Hamilton · August 1, 2022 at 10:51 EDT AM
Interesting workaround, Al C! 🙂 I’m curious why you don’t just use 1Password to manage and process all of your 2FA codes? That seems like it would consolidate it all and make life a little simpler, no? I realize I may be missing something! LOL
ach1302 · August 2, 2022 at 12:04 EDT AM
I do have it entered on 1Password for the iOS & Mac for some sites but I found it easier on the MS Authenticator.
Part of my problem is I do not have the 1Password subscription, but rather the legacy paid version MacOS version 6.8.x. It does not fill the web page with password easily on the Mac. I have not seen it to auto fill the 2FA codes on the iOS device (with latest version) or my Mac version. I found launching the Microsoft iOS App and scroll through the list of 2FA code easier. For 1Password, I. Have to launch the App, enter the Site name, scroll down to the 2FA code which is in small font and copy the code for IOS or type on Mac.
Also it separates the password from the 2FA code to different App/devices with another level of security.
Auto filling on iOS for passwords work great on iOS, but I have not found a good way to get it any easier for 2FA codes.
Am I missing anything? It’s been some time since I last tried. I did quickly looked at it now and did not see anything changed especially for the IOS version.
One day I may have to subscribe to 1Password or who know what Apple my provide.
Dave Hamilton · August 2, 2022 at 10:08 EDT AM
Apple’s definitely got their version of this functionality, though I do find the current (subscription) builds of 1Password handle it VERY well.
That said, I’m still toying with moving my stuff to BitWarden and just running my own vault on my DiskStation. 😉
You must log in to post a comment.