Welcome to Mac Geek Gab 976 for Monday, April 10th, 2023! Today, your three favorite geeks – Dave Hamilton, Pilot Pete, and John F. Braun – are here to guide you through a fascinating episode filled with Quick Tips, app recommendations, and troubleshooting advice. Remember, our motto is: Don’t Get Caught!
Let’s dive into the agenda and see what’s in store for this episode!
00:00:00 – Kicking off with Ral605’s question on taking a screenshot of a full webpage on iPhone, we’ve got a range of Quick Tips to enhance your Mac experience. We’ll discuss restoring Apple Watch functionality in Safe Mode, managing Apple TV apps, monitoring Migration Assistant progress, and using a hub with your iPad.
Love for MacBook Pro Touch Bar & USB-C Thunderbolt Ports
00:14:14 – We share our appreciation for the MacBook Pro Touch Bar and the extra two USB-C Thunderbolt Ports on the larger MacBook Pro. Learn about the Better Touch Tool and GoldenChaos-BTT to get the most out of your Touch Bar.
Apple Music, Sleep Tracking, and iPhone Shortcuts
00:21:38 – Joe has a question about making Apple Music Classical work with Carplay, then we discuss sleep tracking with Apple Watch and a Quick Tip from Jason on selecting multiple items on your iPhone.
Troubleshooting & Tips
00:34:24 – We tackle various questions and issues from our listeners, including dealing with failing drives, using Tailscale and VPNs, Bluetooth connection issues, Apple Watch Lock Screens, and eSIM vs. Physical SIM. We also touch on macOS 13.3’s external drive issue with home directories and the benefits of learning about Focus Modes.
Virtualizing Monterey on Apple Silicon Macs
01:14:56 – Doug asks about virtualizing Monterey on an Apple Silicon Mac, and we delve into the possibilities and potential issues.
Outtro and More
01:18:06 – We wrap up Mac Geek Gab 976 with a special thanks to CacheFly for providing bandwidth, and remind you to check out Pilot Pete’s Aviation Podcast “So There I Was,” Dave’s Business Brain (for entrepreneurs) and Gig Gab (for working musicians) podcasts. Don’t forget to explore MGG Merch, the Mac Geek Gab YouTube Page, and the Mac Geek Gab Live Calendar!
Stay connected with us through [email protected], 224-888-GEEK, the Mac Geek Gab iPhone app, and our list of Active MGG Sponsors and Coupon Codes. And remember, as always, Don’t Get Caught!
- 00:00:00 Mac Geek Gab 976 for Monday, April 10th, 2023
- Quick Tips
- 00:04:27 MGG at MacStock
- 00:06:00 Edward-QT-Boot into Safe Mode to Restore Wake with Apple Watch Functionality
- 00:08:53 Scott-QT-Double Click Home Button to see all running Apps on Apple TV
- 00:11:12 Ben-QT-Float Over to See Detailed Migration Assistant Progress
- 00:11:56 Steven-QT-Use a Hub with your iPad to add HDD, Mouse, Keyboard, and More
- 00:14:14 Love for the MacBook Pro Touch Bar
- 00:15:00 Love for the extra two USB-C Thunderbolt Ports on the Larger MacBook Pro
- 00:21:38 Joe-Making Apple Music Classical work with Carplay
- 00:24:18 Tracking sleep with Apple Watch
- 00:29:20 Jason-QT iPhone Select Multiple Items
- 00:30:09 SPONSOR: Kolide – Kolide ensures only secure devices can access your cloud apps. It’s Zero Trust tailor-made for Okta. Book a demo today. Try Kolide Today at Kolide.com/MGG
- 00:31:25 SPONSOR: Zocdoc, the easiest way to find a great doctor and instantly book an appointment. Sign up for FREE at Zocdoc.com/MGG and download the app today.
- 00:33:12 PODCAST: Techmeme Ride Home is like TLDR as a service. Listen to the one show that everyone in Silicon Valley listens to. Find Techmeme Ride Home wherever you find your podcasts.
- Your Questions Answered and Tips Shared!
- 00:34:24 Wilko-What to do with a failing drive?
- 00:38:14 Jason-Using Tailscale, Private Internet Access, and Synology VPN
- It’s So Easy, Even Pilot Pete Can Use It!
- 00:50:09 Todd-Bluetooth Doesn’t Immediately Connect on Boot
sudo pkill bluetoothd
- The Solution Is…Patience
- We Don’t Have Time For Patience
- If You Can’t Connect Your Keyboard, Mouse or Trackpad to Your Mac
- USB3 interferes with 2.4GHz
- 00:54:50 Mike-Create Shortcuts for Specific Apple Watch Lock Screens
- 01:00:29 Jerry-Quality of eSIM vs. Physical SIM
- 01:04:00 Mint Mobile Bumps Up Data Plans
- 01:04:51 Axel-Mouse click goes to top of page – Sent him T-Shooting ideas
- 01:11:06 Grumpy-macOS 13.3 Breaks Home Folders on External Drives
- 01:13:38 It’s worth learning about Focus Modes
- 01:14:56 Doug-974–Virtualizing Monterey on an Apple Silicon Mac
- 01:18:06 Mac Geek Gab 976 Outtro
- Bandwidth Provided by CacheFly
- Pilot Pete’s Aviation Podcast: So There I Was (for Aviation Enthusiasts)
- Dave’s Business Brain (for Entrepreneurs) and Gig Gab (for Working Musicians) Podcasts
- MGG Merch is Available!
- Mac Geek Gab YouTube Page
- Mac Geek Gab Live Calendar
- This Week’s MGG Premium Contributors
- MGG Apple Podcasts Reviews
- [email protected]
- The Mac Geek Gab iPhone app
- Active MGG Sponsors and Coupon Codes List
- BackBeat Media Podcast Network