SPONSOR: Notion. With whatever you’re working on, Notion AI lets you skip to the good part. Save time and write faster by letting Notion AI handle the brainstorm and ﬁrst draft. For a limited time, try Notion AI for free when by visiting Notion.com/MacGeekGab.
SPONSOR: BBEdit, the power tool for text from Bare Bones Software; now with integrated Notebooks and extended language support.
This week, your three favorite geeks delve into some of the coolest tech finds for Apple users, share insightful tips, and answer listener questions. Let’s explore the highlights of Mac Geek Gab 977, aired on Monday, April 17th, 2023.
Cool Stuff Found
The podcast starts with an interesting collection of cool stuff found by the hosts and listeners. Gary shares a wonderful resource called “Make Something Wonderful” on Apple Books. Next, Ben introduces Jitouch, a handy tool that enhances multi-touch gestures for mouse and trackpad users. Pilot Pete follows with his recommendation of TimeKettle WT2-Edge Translator Earbuds, an innovative device for real-time translation. Saurabh brings attention to Smart Scroll, a convenient tool to speed up scrolling on your Mac, while John recommends DoYourClone, an application that allows you to create bootable external clones of your Mac.
Dave’s Experience Downgrading from macOS Ventura to Monterey
In this segment, Dave shares his experience downgrading from macOS Ventura to Monterey. He explains that while he noticed improvements in Logic’s performance and CoreAudio device responsiveness, he advises listeners not to follow his example, as downgrading can be risky and may cause issues.
More Cool Stuff Found
The podcast continues with more cool finds, such as Dave’s discovery of TwelveSouth AirFly SE, a Bluetooth accessory for airplane entertainment systems. John Payne contributes by mentioning the New File Menu app, a helpful right-click application for Mac users. Barry brings nostalgia with MuffinTerm, a software to connect to old-school BBSes. Dave then talks about MacUpdater 3, an app that includes auto-updates, deeper versions, and more features for maintaining your Mac. Lastly, in honor of Earth Day, Dave recommends Anker’s bio-based cables.
Your Questions Answered and Tips Shared
John F. Braun, Dave Hamilton, and Pilot Pete address various listener questions and share valuable tips. They discuss the possible reasons behind DukeSilver’s MacBook discharging during sleep and suggest using Sleep Aid to resolve the issue. Joe shares advice about tracking places to visit with Google Maps, and the hosts provide guidance on using the feature effectively. Larry’s question on WiFi/Eero connection issues is tackled, while J-Bryner seeks an explanation for numbers being added to remote volume names. Lastly, Dave shares his experience with Siri’s devolving functionality, particularly in audibly providing elevation data.
Mac Geek Gab 977 delivers an insightful and engaging discussion on cool gadgets, software, and tips for Apple users. Dave, John, and Pilot Pete continue to answer listener questions and provide valuable advice to help users get the most out of their devices. Subscribe now so you won’t miss out on future episodes for more exciting discoveries and tips!
- 00:00:00 Mac Geek Gab 977 for Monday, April 17th, 2023
- 00:03:04 MGG AI-focused Hangout on Sunday, April 23rd!
- Cool Stuff Found
- 00:22:08 SPONSOR: Notion. With whatever you’re working on, Notion AI lets you skip to the good part. Save time and write faster by letting Notion AI handle the brainstorm and ﬁrst draft. For a limited time, try Notion AI for free when by visiting Notion.com/MacGeekGab.
- 00:24:01 SPONSOR: BBEdit, the power tool for text from Bare Bones Software; now with integrated Notebooks and extended language support.
- 00:25:48 PODCAST: MacBreak Weekly: Go behind the curtain with TWiT.tv’s Leo Laporte, Jason Snell, Andy Ihnatko, and Alex Lindsay as they dive into everything Apple-related.
- Dave Downgraded from Ventura to Monterey
- 00:26:28 Dave Downgraded!- But DO NOT do this!!!
- Logic Runs fine at 128 sample buffer size in Monterey (Ventura needed 256)
- No delays in Monterey when adding a new device/app to CoreAudio
- Do as I say, Not as I do
- 00:26:28 Dave Downgraded!- But DO NOT do this!!!
- MOAR CSF
- 00:38:48 CSF-TwelveSouth AirFly SE for Bluetoothing The Plane
- 00:40:00 John Payne-CSF New File Menu app
- 00:44:29 Barry-CSF-MuffinTerm to Connect to Old-School BBSes
- 00:48:00 CSF-MacUpdater 3 includes auto-updates, deeper versions, more
- 00:50:08 CSF-Anker’s Bio-based cables for Earth Day
- Your Questions Answered and Tips Shared!
- 00:51:03 DukeSilver-Why Is My MacBook Discharging During Sleep? Sleep Aid
- 00:55:08 Joe-Track Places to Visit with Google Maps
- 00:58:14 Larry-WiFi/Eero Connection Issue
- 01:04:40 J-Bryner-Why Do Remote Volume Names Have Numbers Added to their Names
- 01:09:00 Siri Used to Tell Me My Elevation…Why Not Anymore?
- Hey Siri, Use Your Words
- 01:12:50 Phil-Upgrading From an Intel MacBook Pro
- 01:23:16 Mac Geek Gab 977 Outtro
- Bandwidth Provided by CacheFly
- Pilot Pete’s Aviation Podcast: So There I Was (for Aviation Enthusiasts)
- Dave’s Business Brain (for Entrepreneurs) and Gig Gab (for Working Musicians) Podcasts
- MGG Merch is Available!
- Mac Geek Gab YouTube Page
- Mac Geek Gab Live Calendar
- This Week’s MGG Premium Contributors
- MGG Apple Podcasts Reviews
- [email protected]