SPONSOR: Kolide – Kolide ensures only secure devices can access your cloud apps. It’s Zero Trust tailor-made for Okta. Book a demo today. Try Kolide Today at Kolide.com/MGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Spotify | RSS | Subscribe to Mac Geek Gab
In this episode of Mac Geek Gab, Pilot Pete, John F. Braun, and Dave Hamilton start with some Quick Tips shared by the audience. Bruce, Erik, Ben, and Wayne share the tip of using Cmd-Shift-Period for showing hidden/invisible files in Finder. Scott shares a better way of navigating messages on Mac, while Henry provides more Safari address bar navigation tips. The group also discusses changing Twitter 2FA to a one-time password if you lose text message 2FA support and logging your router’s MAC address if you’re on fiber.
The show then moves on to answering listeners’ questions and sharing tips. Jedd asks why Apple Maps became a data hog, and the group discusses the merits of using private networks for iOT devices. Robert suggests using Tailscale as your inbound/outbound VPN, and the group talks about the recently improved Tailscale Free Plan. Craig shares an issue with HomeKit cameras regularly going offline and how HomeBridge can help. John’s Apple Watch stopped unlocking one of his Macs, while Mike’s Apple Watch and phone are on different carriers. Finally, Curt wonders if Apple stopped warning users about macOS memory usage.
The show concludes with some Cool Stuff Found. Your three favorite geeks shares the Juice-Jack Defender Plug, a portable charger battery for Apple Watch, and a TerraMaster TNAS F4-423 that costs $499 on Amazon.
If you’re looking for quick tips, answers to your tech questions, or just some cool stuff to check out, Mac Geek Gab 979 has it all. Tune in and join the conversation!
- 00:00:00 Mac Geek Gab 979 for Monday, May 1st, 2023
- Bruce (and Erik, Ben, Wayne)-QT-978-Cmd-Shift-Period for Showing Hidden/Invisible Files in Finder
- The MGG Discord Server is Live!
- The MGG Merch Store is Live!
- Quick Tips
- 00:14:02 SPONSOR: Kolide – Kolide ensures only secure devices can access your cloud apps. It’s Zero Trust tailor-made for Okta. Book a demo today. Try Kolide Today at Kolide.com/MGG
- 00:15:19 PODCAST: Techmeme Ride Home is like TLDR as a service. Listen to the one show that everyone in Silicon Valley listens to. Find Techmeme Ride Home wherever you find your podcasts.
- Your Questions Answered and Tips Shared!
- 00:16:34 Jedd-Why Did Apple Maps Become a Data Hog?
- 00:23:39 Robert-976-Use Tailscale As your Inbound/Outbound VPN, too (and Jonathan and Mike)
- 00:34:43 Craig-HomeKit Cameras Regularly Going Offline
- A Lengthy discussion of the merits of employing homekit, private networks for your iOT devices, and more
- 00:48:58 John-Apple Watch Stopped Unlocking One of My Macs
- 00:53:28 Mike-Apple Watch and Phone on Different Carriers
- 00:58:11 Curt-Did Apple Stop Warning Us About macOS Memory Usage?
- Cool Stuff Found
- 01:01:17 CSF-Juice-Jack Defender Plug
- 01:04:20 Portable Charger Battery for Apple Watch (and one without a battery)
- 01:06:31 TerraMaster TNAS F4-423 ($499 on Amazon)
- 01:10:12 Mac Geek Gab 979 Outtro
- Bandwidth Provided by CacheFly
- Pilot Pete’s Aviation Podcast: So There I Was (for Aviation Enthusiasts)
- Dave’s Business Brain (for Entrepreneurs) and Gig Gab (for Working Musicians) Podcasts
- MGG Merch is Available!
- Mac Geek Gab YouTube Page
- Mac Geek Gab Live Calendar
- This Week’s MGG Premium Contributors
- MGG Apple Podcasts Reviews
- [email protected]
- The Mac Geek Gab iPhone app
- Active MGG Sponsors and Coupon Codes List
- You’re downloading today’s show from CacheFly’s network
- BackBeat Media Podcast Network
You must log in to post a comment.