SPONSOR: Private Internet Access VPN – Save 82% off your VPN service PLUS four free months with a two-year plan at PIAVPN.com/mgg.
SPONSOR: BBEdit, the power tool for text from Bare Bones Software; now with integrated Notebooks and extended language support.
PODCAST: Techmeme Ride Home is like TLDR as a service. Listen to the one show that everyone in Silicon Valley listens to. Find Techmeme Ride Home wherever you find your podcasts.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Spotify | RSS | Subscribe to Mac Geek Gab
Welcome to another exciting episode of Mac Geek Gab, hosted by Dave Hamilton, John F. Braun, and Pilot Pete. In this episode, we’ll explore a variety of quick tips to enhance your Mac experience, discuss popular notetaking apps, and share some cool stuff we found. So sit back, relax, and let’s dive into the world of Mac Geekery. And remember, Don’t Get Caught!
1. Yufasa-QT: Double-Click Window Edge/Corner to Expand
If you want to quickly expand a window on your Mac, simply double-click on its edge or corner. This time-saving tip allows you to maximize your workspace efficiently.
2. Jim-QT: Create Smart Albums for Each Year’s Unfiled Photos
Managing your photo library can be a daunting task. Jim suggests creating smart albums for unfiled photos each year. This way, you can easily organize and locate your precious memories without any hassle.
3. Notetaking Apps:
When it comes to capturing and organizing your thoughts, there’s no shortage of options. Our hosts discuss some of the top notetaking apps available:
– Obsidian: A powerful app for creating interconnected notes, perfect for those who enjoy a more structured approach to notetaking.
– Microsoft OneNote: A versatile app that syncs across devices, making it easy to access your notes anywhere, anytime.
– Apple Notes: A native app that seamlessly integrates with your Apple devices, offering a simple and intuitive notetaking experience.
– Evernote: A feature-rich app with advanced organizational tools, ideal for users who need to manage extensive note collections.
4. Martin-QT: Long Press Control Center To Connect BT & WiFi Without Going into Settings
Martin shares a handy tip to quickly connect to Bluetooth devices and Wi-Fi networks by long-pressing the Control Center on your Mac. This shortcut saves you time and eliminates the need to navigate through settings menus.
During a tangent about scripting deleted notes, our hosts emphasize the importance of data backup and recovery. Remember, accidents happen, so it’s crucial to have a backup system in place to protect your valuable information. As we always say, “Don’t Get Caught” without a backup!
Listener Questions Answered:
1. Jens24: Changing Drive Icons and Viewing the Clipboard
Jens24 seeks advice on customizing drive icons and accessing the clipboard on a Mac. Our hosts share their insights and provide helpful solutions to make these tasks a breeze.
2. Joe: Photos Consuming Cellular Data While Traveling
Joe wonders why his photos are consuming cellular data while he’s traveling. Our experts explain the concept of “Current Period” in cellular data settings on the iPhone and offer tips to manage data usage effectively.
3. Fernando: What is Recovered Messages in Mail?
Fernando seeks clarification about the “Recovered Messages” feature in the Mail app. Our hosts shed light on this useful feature, which helps recover deleted or lost emails effortlessly.
4. Create a Shortcut to Set Low Data Mode
If you want to enable low data mode on your Mac quickly, our hosts guide you through creating a shortcut that simplifies the process. Save data and streamline your browsing experience with this nifty tip.
5. Jon: Use Command-Line to Rebuild Spotlight in Ventura
Jon provides instructions about rebuilding Spotlight in Ventura using the command-line instead of OnyX.
Cool Stuff Found:
In the world of tech, there’s always something new and exciting to discover. Our hosts present some cool stuff they found:
– Sonos Era 300 with Dolby Atmos: Get ready to elevate your audio experience with the Sonos Era 300, featuring Dolby Atmos technology. This speaker delivers immersive sound with precise object-based audio, making you feel like you’re right in the middle of the music.
– Scosche PowerVolt Travel30: Stay powered up on the go with the Scosche PowerVolt Travel30. Its foldable plug design makes it ideal for travel, ensuring you can stay connected wherever you are, in the car or in the hotel. Don’t get caught with a dead battery—grab the Scosche PowerVolt Travel30 and keep your devices juiced up.
– Velatoy All-In-One Travel Plug Adapter: Traveling internationally? The Velatoy All-In-One Travel Plug Adapter has got you covered. This innovative adapter features a compact design with built-in plugs that support over 150 countries. With multiple USB ports and a universal AC socket, you can charge your devices hassle-free in any corner of the world. Don’t let incompatible outlets slow you down—pack the Velatoy All-In-One Travel Plug Adapter and stay connected wherever your adventures take you.
– Catlink Robot Litter Box: For all the cat owners out there, the Catlink Robot Litter Box is a must-have gadget. This intelligent litter box automates the cleaning process, saving you time and effort. With its advanced self-cleaning mechanism, odor control system, and spacious design, your furry friend will have a comfortable and hygienic restroom experience. Say goodbye to manual scooping and hello to a cleaner litter box with the Catlink Robot Litter Box. And remember, “Don’t Get Caught” with a messy litter box!
In this episode of Mac Geek Gab, we explored a range of quick tips, discussed popular notetaking apps, and shared some cool tech finds. From time-saving shortcuts to efficient organization techniques, we hope these insights enhance your Mac experience. Remember to back up your data, manage your cellular data wisely, and take advantage of the fantastic tools and gadgets we discovered. Until next time, keep geeking out and remember, “Don’t Get Caught” without your Mac Geek Gab knowledge!
- 00:00:00 Mac Geek Gab 981 for Monday, May 15th, 2023
- Quick Tips
- 00:00:01 Yufasa-QT-Double-Click Window Edge/Corner to Expand
- 00:02:49 Jim-QT Create Smart Albums for Each Year’s Unfiled Photos
- 00:07:34 Notetaking Apps
- 00:10:10 Martin QT Long Press Control Center To Connect BT & WiFi Without Going into Settings
- 00:11:53 Tangent: Scripting Deletes
- 00:13:36 Tim-QT-Command-I in Safari Emails the Current Page
- 00:14:59 Linear Time is just a construct for feeble human brains!
- 00:15:49 Thad-QT-980-Only One Active eSim Allowed before iPhone 13
- Mint Mobile – Pete’s Referral Link: http://fbuy.me/sGbrA
- 00:24:12 Larry-QT-Mark Zuckerberg Warns Not To Screenshot Your Facebook Chats
- 00:26:59 Patrick-Describing the Current State of AI Chatbots
- 00:30:55 SPONSOR: Private Internet Access VPN – Save 82% off your VPN service PLUS four free months with a two-year plan at PIAVPN.com/mgg.
- 00:32:25 SPONSOR: BBEdit, the power tool for text from Bare Bones Software; now with integrated Notebooks and extended language support.
- 00:33:51 PODCAST: Techmeme Ride Home is like TLDR as a service. Listen to the one show that everyone in Silicon Valley listens to. Find Techmeme Ride Home wherever you find your podcasts.
- Your Questions Answered and Tips Shared!
- 00:35:04 Jens24-Changing Drive Icons and Viewing the Clipboard
- 00:41:57 Joe-Photos Consuming Cellular Data While Traveling
- 00:48:06 Fernando-What is Recovered Messages in Mail?
- 00:51:39 Create a Shortcut to Set Low Data Mode
- 00:52:48 Jon-Use Command-Line (not OnyX) to rebuild Spotlight in Ventura (at least):
- sudo mdutil -i off -a
- sudo mdutil -E -a
- sudo mdutil -i on -a
- 00:55:55 Monterey Is Great
- Cool Stuff Found
- 01:02:54 CSF-Sonos Era 300 with Dolby Atmos
- 01:09:08 CSF-Scosche PowerVolt Travel30
- 01:12:11 CSF-Velatoy All-In-One Travel Plug Adapter
- 01:13:03 CSF-Catlink Robot Litter Box (40% less than Litter Robot!)
- 01:18:00 Mac Geek Gab 981 Outtro
- Bandwidth Provided by CacheFly
- Pilot Pete’s Aviation Podcast: So There I Was (for Aviation Enthusiasts)
- Dave’s Business Brain (for Entrepreneurs) and Gig Gab (for Working Musicians) Podcasts
- Birds Aren’t Real
- MGG Merch is Available!
- Mac Geek Gab YouTube Page
- Mac Geek Gab Live Calendar
- This Week’s MGG Premium Contributors
- MGG Apple Podcasts Reviews
- [email protected]
- The Mac Geek Gab iPhone app
- Active MGG Sponsors and Coupon Codes List
- BackBeat Media Podcast Network
You must log in to post a comment.