SPONSOR: Kolide – Kolide ensures only secure devices can access your cloud apps. It’s Zero Trust tailor-made for Okta. Book a demo today. Try Kolide Today at Kolide.com/MGG
SPONSOR: Shady Rays. What’s better than getting one pair of Shady Rays and not worrying if you break or lose them? Getting two! Go to ShadyRays.com/mgg and use code mgg and for a limited time, when you buy one pair of Shady Rays, you’ll get a second pair FREE.
SPONSOR: Hello Fresh. Skip trips to the grocery store and count on HelloFresh to make home cooking easy, fun, and affordable. Visit HelloFresh.com/MGG16 and use code MGG16 for 16 free meals plus free shipping.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Spotify | RSS | Subscribe to Mac Geek Gab
In this episode, hosts Dave Hamilton, John F. Braun, and Pilot Pete kicked off with listener Dan’s quick tip on how to select groups of photos on iPhone rapidly. Dan discovered that swiping from left to right, starting from the first desired photo and scrolling downwards without lifting your finger, allows you to select multiple photos in subsequent rows. This efficient method helps you add numerous photos to a shared album swiftly.
As always, the hosts continued to share their cool finds and answer listener queries. They emphasized the magic of the ‘Option’ key in Finder that can unfold all ‘Get Info’ details. When you’re looking at the Get Info screen and all the triangles are twisted closed, hold down the Option key while opening one of them; they will all open simultaneously. This also applies when you’re in the Finder itself. Option clicking can either twist them all open or closed at once.
In addition, the Option key can be utilized in several other handy ways. For instance, holding down the option key and clicking the keyboard brightness key opens up the monitor system preference. Similarly, if you option click the volume up or down button on your keyboard, it will open up the sound system preference.
The hosts were particularly impressed by a feature they discovered this week. When using a scroll bar, instead of trying to grab and drag the little handle, you can option click anywhere in that scroll bar, and it will jump the scroll point to that point. This feature can be a game-changer when navigating through long documents or web pages, making scrolling a breeze.
In this episode, Pilot Pete brought an intriguing eSIM tip to the table. One of the listeners, Joao, shared his experience about buying an eSIM in China, which helped him bypass most VPN restrictions. This came handy while traveling, as it solved the Regional Data issue.
Add to this some fantastic discussion about Passkeys as well as your questions answered, and it’s action-packed!
Stay tuned for more insightful tips, tricks, and tech tidbits in the upcoming episodes. Don’t forget to sign up here to get shownotes delivered to your inbox every week. Remember, “Don’t Get Caught” without the latest tech wisdom from your favorite Mac geeks!
- 00:00:00 Mac Geek Gab 982 for Monday, May 22nd, 2023
- Quick Tips
- 00:00:01 Dan-QT-Quickly Selecting Groups of Photos on iPhone
- 00:03:37 QT-Use the Option key in Finder to Unfold all Get Info details
- 00:07:29 Joao QT bought eSim in China to get by most VPN restrictions -> Follow Up Regional Data is Cheaper!
- 00:09:58 Managing Cellular Data
- 00:13:10 Apple Human Interface Guidelines Binders
- 00:14:40 Sacha-QT-980-Tell ChatGPT Which Language to Use
- 00:16:20 CSF-ChatGPT’s Plugins are now in Beta for many paid users
- 00:21:57 SPONSOR: Kolide – Kolide ensures only secure devices can access your cloud apps. It’s Zero Trust tailor-made for Okta. Book a demo today. Try Kolide Today at Kolide.com/MGG
- 00:23:11 SPONSOR: Shady Rays. What’s better than getting one pair of Shady Rays and not worrying if you break or lose them? Getting two! Go to ShadyRays.com/mgg and use code mgg and for a limited time, when you buy one pair of Shady Rays, you’ll get a second pair FREE.
- 00:24:44 ChatGPT AI Usage
- Navigating Through Hotel Notesifornia
- Cool Stuff Found
- 00:27:44 Greg-CSF Map Redirect for Map Links and Opener to make iPhone links open in apps of your choosing
- 00:29:35 Ben-CSF-Unlox.it (formerly MacID) to unlock Mac with Trackpad tap, face, and more
- 00:30:31 Tom-CSF-981–Exporter to Export from Notes Attachments
- 00:33:13 ral605-CSF-Anker 525 Charging Station with 2 USB-C, 2-USB-A and 3 AC outlets
- 00:38:46 David Kloempken-CSF-CoverageMap.com – A Community-Sourced Cell Coverage/Speed Map (submit your own…if you dare!) Or use OpenSignal.
- 00:47:18 CSF-Viable and Liviable for virtualizing macOS and Linux from Howard Oakley
- 00:48:29 SPONSOR: Hello Fresh. Skip trips to the grocery store and count on HelloFresh to make home cooking easy, fun, and affordable. Visit HelloFresh.com/MGG16 and use code MGG16 for 16 free meals plus free shipping.
- 00:50:10 PODCAST: The 5 AM Miracle. Every Monday morning, The 5 AM Miracle is here to help you dominate your day before breakfast, create powerful lifelong habits, and tackle your grandest goals with extraordinary energy.
- 00:51:17 Allison-Passkeys (Currently) Require iCloud Keychain
- 00:54:55 Kyle-980-Passkey Cross-Device Cross-Platform
- 00:56:32 Todd-Passcode Security Reminder
- Settings > Face ID & Passcode > Change Passcode > Passcode Options
- Your Questions Answered and Tips Shared!
- 01:04:18 Gary-Low Battery Alert on iPhone
- 01:09:28 Jeff-GC-Q How to Make an iPhone Email Signature with an Image -> Follow Up It Remains a Challenge
- 01:13:48 Bill-Choosing a Thunderbolt Dock
- 01:24:20 Mac Geek Gab 982 Outtro
- Bandwidth Provided by CacheFly
- Pilot Pete’s Aviation Podcast: So There I Was (for Aviation Enthusiasts)
- Dave’s Business Brain (for Entrepreneurs) and Gig Gab (for Working Musicians) Podcasts
- Birds Aren’t Real
- MGG Merch is Available!
- Mac Geek Gab YouTube Page
- Mac Geek Gab Live Calendar
- This Week’s MGG Premium Contributors
- MGG Apple Podcasts Reviews
- [email protected]
- The Mac Geek Gab iPhone app
- Active MGG Sponsors and Coupon Codes List
- BackBeat Media Podcast Network
You must log in to post a comment.