Delve into a treasure trove of Quick Tips and advice for the Mac community with your two favorite geeks as they kick off this week’s Mac Geek Gab episode! Pilot Pete and Dave Hamilton start with screenshot shortcuts, followed by a spotlight on using Spotlight instead of System Settings. They discuss the surprising advantage of Long-Pressing frequently used apps, keyboard battery alert features, and even some Finder tricks for good measure.
When the topic of travel woes comes up, from the inability to check Siri for AirTag Battery Level to the absurdity of struggling with hotel Wi-Fi in Times Square in 2023, they dish out as many tips as they can, including how to dry out a Lightning Port and using services like ParkWhiz to save on parking in major cities.
In the “Your Questions Answered” segment, Christopher’s concern about protecting his family from scams leads to a valuable discussion on cybersecurity. Dave and Pilot Pete also answer Adam’s query about using a dock on a desktop Mac, troubleshoot Arthur’s problem of deleted mail accounts reappearing, and provide guidance on how to remove someone else’s photos from one’s library.
With plenty of insights about Macs and beyond, we’re reminded: “Don’t Get Caught” unprepared in the digital world. The show even manages to incorporate a clever solution using ChatGPT, making it a must-listen for every Apple enthusiast.
- 00:00:00 Mac Geek Gab 994 for Monday, August 7th, 2023
- Quick Tips
- 00:00:01 QT-Press Spacebar after Command-Shift-4 for Screenshots to Get Entire Window
- 00:05:06 Donna-QT-Test Long-Pressing on Frequently-Used Apps to Find Shortcuts
- 00:06:43 Chicago Tom-QT-Use Spotlight Instead of System Settings – But wait! There’s more!
- 00:11:08 ChatGPT Saves the Show
- 00:17:41 Greg-QT-Messages Won’t Let you Re-order the Photos and App Store icons
- 00:18:55 Gary-QT-Keyboard Battery Alert Feature in CleanMyMac X
- 00:20:19 PSA: You Lose your ability to check AirTag batteries – CR2032
- 00:22:37 Allison-QT-Turning on Maximize Compatibility Tethering turns on 2.4Ghz
- 00:25:35 Todd-QT- Using Facetime Video Camera as a “back up” camera
- 00:27:32 MyFaceIsTooBig-QT-Use Command-Key Shortcuts to rock the Finder
- Command-Plus&Minus in Finder List view expands/contracts the height of entries
- 00:31:44 Glenn-QT-Shake your Mac’s mouse cursor to enlarge (and find) it!
- 00:32:45 SPONSOR: Private Internet Access VPN – Save 82% off your VPN service PLUS four free months with a two-year plan at PIAVPN.com/mgg.
- 00:34:30 SPONSOR: Zocdoc, the easiest way to find a great doctor and instantly book an appointment. Sign up for FREE at Zocdoc.com/MGG and download the app today.
- 00:36:11 SPONSOR: This Week In Tech: Every week, This Week in Tech gives you a no-holds-barred, deep dive into how big tech influences our culture and our lives.
- Travel Tips, Woes, and Fist-Shakes!
- Your Questions Answered and Tips Shared!
- 01:01:05 Christopher-How do I protect my family from scams?
- 01:09:26 Adam Using a Dock on a Desktop Mac?
- 01:12:18 Arthur-Why do Deleted Mail Accounts Keep Coming Back?
- 01:14:36 How do I remove someone else’s Photos from my Photos Library?
- 01:16:22 Mac Geek Gab 994 Outtro
- Bandwidth Provided by CacheFly
- Follow us on Mastodon
- Pilot Pete’s Aviation Podcast: So There I Was (for Aviation Enthusiasts)
- Dave’s Business Brain (for Entrepreneurs) and Gig Gab (for Working Musicians) Podcasts
- MGG Merch is Available!
- Mac Geek Gab YouTube Page
- Mac Geek Gab Live Calendar
- This Week’s MGG Premium Contributors
- MGG Apple Podcasts Reviews
- [email protected]
- The Mac Geek Gab iPhone app
- Active MGG Sponsors and Coupon Codes List
- BackBeat Media Podcast Network